How you select your rental scuba diving equipment?
Posted on Jun 13, 2022 by heike
When you rent scuba diving equipment, for your own safety and comfort, you should remember to check the following tips:
Buoyancy Control Device (BCD)
- Select the correct size. The last thing you want is a BCD that restricts your breathing because it is too tight. Conversely, if it is too large, you may feel you are about to slip out of it.
- Select a style or make that you are familiar with and take into consideration belts, buckles and fastenings.
- Check there are no leaks
- Ensure that the low-pressure inflator connector is securely tightened
- Ensure that both the deflator and power inflator buttons function correctly and do not stick
- Ensure the mask fits correctly and does not leak
- Check the skirt for damage or tears
- Check the strap for signs of wear and tear. Bear in mind that if you lose the mask you might hae to pay for it.
- Ask for an optical mask if required.
- Check ease of breathing through both regulators
- Ensure regulators mouthpieces are in good condition and that the bite lobes are okay
- Purge regulator before putting it in your mouth, in the tropics, you never know what might have crawled inside!
- Check the pressure gauge; satisfy yourself that it does not stick
Fins and booties
- Be careful to get the size right; too small can results in cramps, too large and they may fall off.