Turn back time in Style and Luxuary
Step into history and spend some 4 days / 3 nights in Style at one of Chiang Mai’s icon boutique Resorts. Built around an original teak homestead in 1883 the award-winning 137 Pillar house transformed into a stunning 30 suite boutique hotel with a rich colonial past. Explore the City by samlor (also known as a rickshaw or bicycle taxi). End your experience with a cocktail at the Jack Bain's Bar, named after the last inhabitant of the house. Here, you’ll find a selection of Colonial and Asian inspired cocktails, sabered champagne, premium whiskies and bespoke spirits.
|Duration:||4 days / 3 nights|
|Suitable For:||Family, Seniors|
|Trip Theme:||Classic, History|
Steeped in history, Style and Luxury spend some time returning to the adventure and romance of Thailand in the late 1800'. This one at a kind boutique resort consists of a sprawling teak house with 137 teak pillars which now forms the heart of a stunning 30 suite boutique hotel. The 137 Pillars House evokes an old-world charm and elegance and invites you to experience the art of refined luxury living.
Day 1: arriving Chiang Mai ( - / - / - )
Your driver will await you after your arriving at the International Airport in Chiang Mai to bring you to the 137 Pillar House. The resort representative leads you through the surrounding charms of Chiang Mai and welcome you home into papered privacy.
After checking in to your Suite, you have time to explore the Resort. The gymnasium, Nitra Serenity Centre as well as the beautiful infinity edged pool at the garden wall inspires you to rejuvenate and relax.
A variety of convenient and tasty dining options are waiting you at the hotel. Feed some old-world charm to all your senses by dining in our original colonial teak homestead.
Wind down before bedtime with your preferred on the rocks drink in Jack Bain's Bar. Jack Bain’s Bar was named after the last inhabitant of the house. Here, you’ll find a selection of Colonial and Asian inspired cocktails, sabered champagne, premium whiskies and bespoke spirits.
Overnight at the 137 Pillar House, Rajah Brooke Suite or any of the four other categories
Day 2: Chiang Mai ( B / L / - )
Begin you day with a delicious in-house breakfast. Enjoy the morning bliss with a sip of good coffee at the restautant located in the hotel before you will be transported back to the heyday of the teak industry in the 1930’s when the Borneo Company was headquartered in the original teak homestead of 137 Pillars House. You will visit places where David Macfie and William Bain, former managers of the company spent time, including the Gymkhana Club, as well as the former residences of Arthur Queripel, Forest Manager of the Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation.
The tour begins at 8.30 am when your guide and driver will meet you at the hotel from where you will visit the quaint Wat Ket Museum which exhibits memorabilia of old Chiang Mai, followed by the Kad Luang Market which dates back to the early 20th century and which Macfie and Bain would most certainly have frequented.
The only public transportation available in those days was the samlor (also known as a rickshaw or bicycle taxi). Your samlor tour will take you to some key historical sights of the city, including the oldest house in Chiang Mai, known as the Lanna Ancient House, formerly owned by a Burmese teak trader. After crossing the Ping River via the Iron Bridge, the samlor tour concludes at the First Church of Chiang Mai.
The tour continues by minivan to the Gymkhana Club. In 1898 Louis Leonowens of the Borneo Company, was one of 14 founders of this sports club, which became the social meeting place of the expat community in Chiang Mai where they gathered to play polo, cricket and tennis and to socialize with friends. Both Macfie and Bain were members and appear in group pictures that adorn the wall of the club. In the 1920’s and 1930’s the expat community probably totaled around 70 people, including children. Most were American missionaries or British employees of the teak firms. The club still operates to this day.
Next to the Gymkhana Club is the foreign cemetery where both Macfie and Bain were laid to rest. You can visit their graves and that of Chiang Mai’s most famous British consul W.A.R.Wood.
The tour concludes at the Lanna Traditional House Museum at the Chiang Mai University; a charming open-air museum with an amazing collection of re-assembled wooden traditional houses. At the center of the compound is the Queripel House or the House of “Lung Que” which was the home of Arthur Queripel, forest manager of the Bombay Burmah Trading Corporation. It houses a permanent exhibition on the life and times of Arthur Queripel and the teak industry. You will then return to 137 Pillars House in time for lunch at around 12.30 pm.
The afternoon is free of leisure
Optional: Chiang Mai Foodie Tour & Night Bazar
18.00 pm Pick up from hotel in the evening then drive to Chang Purk Market where you will find delicious traditional Thai market fare. Various vendors will be lined up selling dishes including soups, noodles, pork, seafood and Thai desserts. Following your dining destinatin continue to the Night Market or Night Bazaar. Follow your tour guide by the many stalls as you soak up the colorful sights and exotic smells, browse the array of wares on offer, and try your hand at bargaining for everything from fine antiques to souvenirs, handcrafted wares or satiny smooth Thai silk. Have your portrait painted, get fitted for a custom suit, or try on an exquisite selection of Asian silver Jewerly
After return back to the hotel
Overnight at the 137 Pillar House
Day 3: Chiang Mai ( B / - / - )
After your delicious in-house breakfast,
Today is atleisure
Or optional explore Chiang Mai an enjoy a variety of experiences catering to all tastes;
- Trilogy Adventure Experience. This half day of hiking, mountain biking and kayaking is the perfect way to see the green rural areas of Chiang Mai that are off the beaten track. This experience is created exclusive for 137 Pillars House guests. It is designed for those with a moderate level of fitness and is approximately 5.15 hours in duration from 2.00pm – 7.15pm.
- Learn how to cook some of the delicious Thai cuisine at Baan Hongnaul. You can choose between a morning or afternoon class which involves a visit to the local market and 3 main course and one Thai dessert / snack or extent your class to cook 6 dishes (4 main course + 1 Thai dessert + 1 snack)
- Spend your day discovering Unseen Lampang, stop on the way at Tung Kwian Market, before you visit Wat Chalermprakiat Phrachomklao Rachanuson. also name Wat Phrabat Pu Pha Daeng located at ground-based level of Pu Yak Mountain, continue upwards and enjoy breathtaking views up to pagodas perched on top of Pu Yak Mountain. After lunch at a local restaurant, visit Chae Son National Park, a lush forested and mountainous region where main attraction is Chae Son Waterfall which is the 6-level waterfall with clear water flowing through high mountains. Only one kilometer away is the hot spring providing a misty and picturesque scene. A perfect program for Nature Lovers!
Or just chill out with a relaxing spa treatment, a swim in the emerald pool before cocktails and dinner, or room service and a deep soak in the Victorian bathtub.
Overnight at the 137 Pillar House, Rajah Brooke Suite upgrade to the luxury Louise Leonowens Pool Suite at 137 Pillar House
Day 4: Chiang Mai ( B / - / - )
After your delicious in-house breakfast, enjoy the resort until check out or not enough? Just an additional day or even add more days and explore the Pearl of the north
Continue to your next destination
Note: Any other activities around your private charter can be organized, just let us know what you have in mind. Any event you like to celebrate on board? No problem our event team is more than happy to help you to make this trip special for you and your love once.
All our private packages itineraries are not set in stone, meaning we can adjust, modify within your wishes, description. Or just let us create a complete new one for you. Our goal is to create your dream vacation. Just contact any time
- 3 overnights shared Rajah Brooke Suite (Twin or King); 70 sqm, Bluetooth Speaker, Walk-in Closet, Ceiling Fan and air-condition Room (Single room and honeymoon package available with a surcharge)
- Welcome drink and cold towel upon arrival
- Welcome basket of seasonal fruit in the room
- Complimentary wireless and LAN internet access
- Complimentary in-room espresso / coffee machine and a selection of teas and drinking water
- All transfers mentioned in the program
- English speaking service and services of qualified and license local guide during mentioned excursion
- 3 breakfast and 1 lunch (vegetarian menu available on request)
- Activities as described in Program / Itinerary
- Entrance fees to all the sites as offered on the program and charges will be applicable all extra sites or additional alternative activities
- Accident Insurance coverage under local law
Package does not include:
- Any international or domestic airfare, any Hotels / Resort / Villas and any transportation (Bus, Train, Taxi) outside the mentioned program / before or after your excursion with us
- Any services not mentioned above,
- Optional Tours mentioned in above package
- Snacks & meals outside the above-mentioned program
- Soft Drinks & Alcoholic beverages (available at extra cost)
- Alcoholic beverages (available at extra cost)
- Expenditures of any personal nature
- Tips / gratuity to bellboys, Captain, crew, drivers and/or guide
- Visas and Visa Applications fees
- Bank- or payment transfer fees
- Travel- & Medical Insurance (Please note that a private travel insurance is mandatory on all our packages / excursions/tours)
Travel- & Medical Insurance
Travel Insurance including medical repatriation insurance is mandatory on all our trips. Therefore, we strongly recommend to our guests to make sure to purchase suitable insurance package, which covers all kind of traveling problems, such as lost or loss of luggage, any kind of cancellation of airlines or tours for the value for all the length of your trip. All our tours are including local accident insurance via the operator, but they are most of the time not European standard. Make sure that it covers all the activities that you are likely to undertake, such as rafting, scuba diving, cycling, cruises, trekking etc. Many ‘free’ insurances that come with banking packages, credit cards etc., are quite inadequate to cover you, so make sure you check the policy before your travel. You are required to give a copy of your insurance policy to your tour leader upon arrival. Without proper insurance like this, we will not be allowed to join the tour as we will not be able to respond adequately in case an emergency if you do not have the right insurance. Please also contact your doctor for further preparations regarding to your chosen travel destination including immunizations.
For those who are still looking for a good Travel-, Medical- & Scuba Diving Insurance with a worldwide coverage. Just visit our different Insurance Package.
No matter from which country you are, just follow the above link and get your insurance package. Buy, extend, and claim online, from anywhere in the world, even while you away from home and already on the way.
Note: Please note that a private travel insurance is mandatory on all our packages / excursions/tours.
|From Date||To Date||Duration||2 Person|
|01 Apr 2022||31 Oct 2022||4 days / 3 nights|
Price is quoted per person and subject to change without prior notice